Saturday, July 30, 2011

Children education in Indonesia

One day I got a chance to visit a mosque at one of slum areas in South Jakarta. I didn’t teach the kids how to read Quran, because they already have good teachers for that, but I told them my stories. About pursuing my dreams.

They are kids who glad enough to survive day after day. Living side by side with the garbage their parents collect everyday to make a living. All of them didn’t have a dream at all. Or passion. Or anything. I can only see blank stare in their eyes. No burning desire to get whatsoever ahead in their life. They’re afraid to speak their mind. And reluctant to even speak it through writing. I’m very concerned. These are Indonesia’s next generation!

I have a dream for them. That someday they could turn their life around, brought their family with them, out of the slums. Starting with writing and reading. More knowledge, more insights, more sharing, more creativities, would grow these kids.

I started series of public speaking in universities and schools to encourage more young people to write and eventually read. I challenge them to write in several days. Create a book together at Nulisbuku.com. Just be a creator, not only a follower. This project somehow excite them. One of the students at St. Ursula even said that she’s the one who’s going to make the cover of their class book.
web4invest murah berkah bisnis